Action plan for the inclusion of persons with disabilities
Based on the obligations related to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development has set up a three year Action Plan for the Inclusion of People with Disabilities that is being implemented since 2013 and has now been extended for another two years (2013-2017). The overarching goal of the action plan is to „ensure the systematic mainstreaming of the inclusion of persons with disabilities in German development policy.” It comprises the following strategic objectives:
• SO 1: Raising the level of commitment within the own organization.
• SO 2: Strengthening the inclusion of people with disabilities in partner countries.
• SO 3: Extending cooperation with civil society, the private sector and multilateral organizations in this field
Purpose and scope of the evaluation
The evaluation covers the whole spectrum of interventions implemented in the context of the action plan. From a summative and formative perspective the evaluation appraises, analyses and evaluates the results of implementation. From a summative perspective the evaluation provides information on the achievement of objectives and assess outcomes and impacts of the various interventions. From a formative perspective the results of the evaluation will comprise comprehensible and practical recommendations for a follow-up action plan or a newly designed policy instrument respectively, which shall take effect in 2017. Regarding its methodology, the evaluation pays special attention to increasing opportunities for right holders to inform the evaluation with their views and perspectives.
Timeframe of the evaluation
• The concept note was finalised in March 2016.
• The inception report outlining the evaluation design and data collection methods was finalised in June 2016.
• Data collection took place from May till November 2016. As part of the data collection, case studies were conducted in bilateral projects of German development cooperation in Bangladesh, Guatemala, Indonesia, Malawi and Togo.
• Regular meetings with a reference group will increase the participation of relevant stakeholders throughout the evaluation process.
• The evaluation results will be published in the third quarter of 2017.